Zelnorm And Pregnancy: Natural Treatments for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) encompasses a group of health conditions, which causes pain and discomfort in the intestinal tract. The most common symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain, stomach pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. It is estimated that one out of every five Americans experiences the symptoms of this syndrome. Though IBS disturbs the regular day-to-day activities, it hardly ever causes long-term health complications.
- Other Causes: Some infections caused by protozoan parasites giardiasis and amoebiasis can be responsible for this condition.
- Some other underlying health problems like gallbladder disease, liver disease, diabetes, and malnutrition are the other extreme diarrhea triggers.
- Medications: Intake of certain medicines such as dexedrine, may also bring health problems such as watery stools and stomach cramps.
- These side effects are normally observed when drugs such as dexedrine are abused.
- Overuse of prescription medications is one of the most common causes of abdominal cramps and frequent defecation.
- As the doctors are yet to know the exact reasons for IBS, treating them with medications is also a difficult thing to do.
- So other than supplying the patient from probiotics, the only other thing possible is to provide pain killers to fight the excruciating pain.
- The spleen, stomach, lungs, pancreas and the liver are some of the important organs secured by the ribs.
- Any medical problem that harms any of these organs can set off rib discomfort.
- Causes The pain in pelvic region can sometimes take a trip to the abdominal area, back or to the thigh.
- Secondly, often, you may also experience the discomfort when the bladder is full.
- It is necessary to identify the exact location and nature of the pain in order to get the underlying condition diagnosed correctly.
- This condition is more common in women than in men as the uterus is located in that region in women.
- Treatment: People with broken ribs may recover within 5-6 weeks without any medical intervention.
- Although development of cracks in the ribs may not be a major issue, it is painful.
- In such a scenario, one can take control of the counter painkillers such as acetaminophen to eliminate discomfort.
- Also, take sufficient rest and avoid any activity that puts strain on the damaged muscles.
- Application of ice pack can also help to reduce the pain and swelling connected with broken ribs.
Abdominal Pain After Eating can be Mild as Well as Severe
Nevertheless, seriousness is not necessarily proportional to the gravity of the underlying condition. On the contrary, a serious cramp-like pain is often due to safe condition like gases or bloating, while a lethal condition like cancer may induce mild or no abdominal pain. Severe pain that starts and stops all of a sudden is mainly due to kidney stones or gallstones. Also, the pain may be localized or generalized, meaning, it restricts itself to a single organ or spreads throughout the stomach. Gases, bloating etc., result in generalized pain, while abdominal pain after drinking alcohol is mainly due to liver dysfunction. In women, lower left abdominal pain and nausea are the major premenstrual signs.
- Causes Many people experience stomach cramps and diarrhea in the morning.
- This is often the result of bad eating habits, excessive alcohol or coffee consumption.
- Gastrointestinal disorders that cause these health concerns are offered below:
Most of the time, this condition is not serious, but if it is accompanied by symptoms such as fever, blood in stools, vomiting and severe abdominal discomfort, it is recommended to speak with a doctor for correct medical diagnosis and treatment, as in such a scenario, discomfort in stomach could be due to some major conditions such as a stomach ulcer, Crohn's disease or even appendicitis.
- Costochondritis Costochondritis is a condition wherein the cartilages connecting the ribs with the breast bone are infected and swollen.
- It is caused due to a viral infection, and it causes sharp gnawing pain under the left rib cage, more so while breathing deeply.
- The signs of costochondritis are often confused with that of a heart attack.
- Medical examination can help identify the scenario.
- Stomach Infections: Infections that target the digestive tract can also trigger health problems such as stomach ulcers and gastroenteritis.
- Abdominal cramps along with diarrhea and throwing up are the common symptoms of a variety of stomach conditions.
- People with stomach problems, often lose the desire to have food.
- Abdominal pain is often regarded as a precursor to stomach ulcers.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
IBS caused by diarrhea and dysentery make the intestine empty and very dry due to which it produces larger amounts of mucus to keep the colon well oiled. This mucus is then passed through stools, which is normally not a cause of worry as when the primary illness is treated, the excessive mucus productions stops.
Apart from these, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, pregnancy can be the potential causes of pain in right side of pelvic girdle in women. On the other hand, piles, varicoceles, kidney conditions, etc. can cause pelvic pain on lower right side in men. If one observes throbbing or sharp pelvic discomfort for a long period of time, he/ she should speak with the doctor immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Barrett's Esophagus: It is a complication of GERD.
- People experiencing Barrett's Esophagus are at a high risk of experiencing esophageal cancer.
- Laxative Use Excessive use of laxatives also results in green bowels.
- This is because the laxative causes the bowels movements to happen very rapidly, thereby causing the bowel to end up with discolored wastes.
The pelvis is a large structure present at the lower part of the abdomen. The pelvic or the hip girdle consists of bones that protect intestines, bladder and reproductive organs in human beings. In women, the pelvic girdle also protects the uterus. Abnormalities and disorders of these organs or digestive organs can cause pain in the pelvic area. The pain may or may not be accompanied by other symptoms.
Normal Bowel Sounds.
When assessing abdominal sounds, you need to take your stethoscope, and place it on all four quadrants. Typically, the bowel noises are heard very clearly in the lower right quadrant, which is where the ileo-cecal region is. Typical bowel sound is heard as high-pitched and somewhat gurgling-like sound. These sounds are produced due to mixing of gas/air with fluid throughout peristaltic motion of the muscles. Most bowel sounds are normal and harmless. Needless to say, these sounds are loudest just before mealtimes (which is why our stomach 'growls' when we're hungry).
Increased Bacterial Population
Usually, the friendly bacteria that produce gas and aid in digestion live in the large intestine. However, when their population increases substantially, they might travel up to the little intestine and interact with food that is yet to be absorbed. As bacteria gets exposed to undigested food frequently in the small intestine, it can cause excessive belching anytime after having heavy meals.
Diverticulitis: Studies show that people who have crossed 60 years of age, tend to experience diverticulosis, a condition in which sac like structures (pouches, also referred to as diverticula) type on the the inner wall of the large intestine (colon). In most cases, these multiple pouches happen in the lower left area of the colon. These pouches are safe and usually do not interfere with typical bowel function. Hence, many don't even realize that they are having diverticula. However, when these pouches get swollen due to an infection, the condition is referred to as diverticulitis. This condition is characterized by cramps that usually occur in the left side abdominal region. Apart from cramping, diverticulitis also disturbs normal bowel habits, which may lead to bloody and watery stools.
- Crohn's disease, where there is idiopathic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis also lead to an increase in bowel sound.
- Crohn's Disease: It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), characterized by inflammation in the lining of the intestinal tract.
- Genetics and inappropriate functioning of the immune system are thought to be the possible causes.
- Ways to fix IBS: Intake of probiotics is a much recommended treatment for IBS.
- Probiotics are the good bacteria that live in the digestive linings and help in the improvement of the intestinal functions.
Sometimes, food allergy and gastroenteritis may also lead to hyperactive noises emanating from the bowel. Consumption of milk by a person, who is lactose intolerant, and consumption of gluten by a person, who is diagnosed with celiac disease, can cause exaggerated bowel noises.
If your body is intolerant to even a very small quantity of aluminum, you must take oxy-powder rather of bentonite clay and psyllium husk. It is good to take bentonite clay with psyllium husk if you want to enjoy maximum benefits of the clay. As discussed above, psyllium helps prevent the clay from getting stuck in your intestines and it promotes cleaning and detoxing. The clay should not be taken within two hours after taking medicines or supplements. There ought to be at least one hour gap between bentonite shake and anything nutritional since bentonite (especially when taken with psyllium husk), will absorb the nutrients also (like friendly bacteria, vitamins) along with toxins and bad bacteria.
General, the clay takes in some nutrients so it is suggested to take some dietary supplements regularly, when taking bentonite. It is suggested that aged people and pregnant women shouldn't take this clay or products consisting of the clay. Bentonite clay in itself does not cause constipation. However, it may stick to the digestive tract and lead to a constipation-like feeling in case one's diet plan does not have fiber or if one's everyday water intake is insufficient. In this case, it is advisable to integrate psyllium husks with the clay and increase one's intake of water.
Food Poisoning: Eating contaminated food items often cause food poisoning, which often times is not serious but can cause diarrhea and is accompanied by stomach cramps.
What are the Gluten Intolerance Symptoms?
It is commonly seen, that diagnosing the specific condition is often an issue. The condition may often be categorized either as irritable bowel syndrome or some other stomach condition. In case you have an allergic reaction to gluten, the protein will damage the walls of your intestines, which will result in limiting the absorption of foods, and lead to various symptoms, such as: Cramps. Headaches. Depression. Exhaustion. Aching joints. Ulcers in the mouth.
Pins and Needles and Tingling
Dental health problems. Weight loss or weight gain. Skin problems like eczema and dermatitis. Behavioral changes which includes irritability. Being susceptible to disease due to the immune system being affected. However, the most well-known and common symptoms of gluten intolerance are gastro-intestinal, such as: Some of the other symptoms are: anemia, due to bad absorption of iron as well as reduced absorption of Vitamin B12, fatigue and shortness of breath. Some of the other conditions associated with gluten allergy are irregular menstruation, infertility and miscarriage, as well as slow growth in infants and children.
UTI: If you are suffering from a urinary tract infection (UTI), then you may experience signs like pain in the lower abdomen and burning feeling during urination. Women also experience pain during sexual intercourse. Other symptoms experienced by adults throughout UTI are chills, nausea, pain during urination, blood in urine, foul-smelling urine, and low-grade fever.
In a present day idyllic kingdom, the benevolent teenaged son of the King and Queen (Beast and Belle from Disney's iconic "Beauty and the Beast") is poised to ...
Hypoactive Bowel Sounds
A reduction in the intensity, volume, or regularity of the sounds indicates that the digestive activity has slowed. Hypoactive noises are heard relatively rarely. These sounds symbolize lots of conditions including:
- Celiac Disease: It is an autoimmune disorder, affecting the small intestine.
- People experience severe side effects on consuming gluten-containing foods.
Reasons for Excessive Flatulence
Gassy Foods People who have supper that is high on gassy foods are predisposed to stomach pain due to excessive gas info. As the name suggests, gassy foods are foods items that promote production of gas in the intestinal tract. So, eating too much of gassy foods during nighttime can cause excessive belching. Soluble fiber foods as well as those high in fructose (a type of sugar) and complex carbohydrates are all considered as gassy foods that are responsible for excessive release of gas during digestion. Some of the common foodstuffs notorious for producing unwanted gas are given below: Indigestion.
Pancreatitis: Pancreatitis, the inflammation of the pancreas can also trigger abdominal cramps and bowel dysfunction that manifests in the form of watery bowel movement. As we all know, pancreas is a tongue shaped, glandular organ, around 15 cm long and depends on the stomach at the rear of the stomach. The pancreas is primarily associated with producing enzymes and digestive juice that allow the body to soak up and digest ingested food. It is observed that pancreatitis is often diagnosed in alcoholics and people affected with autoimmune disorders. No matter what the cause is, pancreatitis symptoms that occur are poor digestion, gas, nausea and loose stools.
Some cases, the cramping is confined to a specific part of the stomach, indicating that an organ within the abdominal region is not working properly. This could be your gallbladder, pancreas or the intestines. Nevertheless, if the cramp like pain affects a major part of your stomach, it is often due to overeating and inactive way of life that leads to gas, indigestion and bloating.
Crohn's Disease: When the digestive tract gets inflamed, the condition is referred to as Crohn's disease. The repercussions of Crohn's disease include loose stools and stomach pain. Sometimes, swelling is discovered in a particular part of the digestive tract that leads to moderate abdominal pain and diarrhea. Crohn's disease sometimes triggers formation of small sores (open wounds) on the outside wall of the intestine. If the condition is left neglected, the sores may spread to inner intestinal wall, which may decrease appetite, eventually causing significant weight reduction. Inflammation of the tissue in the digestive system is a cause for concern as consumption of foods, especially hard foods such as toasts can injure the tissue and trigger excessive bleeding. As an outcome, blood in stools might be detected during bowel evacuation.
- When there is accumulation of fluid in the abdominal region, it is called ascites.
- Due to the existence of this fluid, the abdominal sounds get muffled, therefore, seem to be hypoactive.
- Appendicitis: Appendicitis causes inflammation of the appendix, a small 4-inch tubular structure at the beginning of the large intestine.
- Cramps that cause sharp pain in the right side stomach is the most common symptom of appendicitis.
- Besides causing major tummy discomfort and fever, patients may also experience diarrhea or irregularity.
Treatment: Antibiotics is the first line of treatment for stomach problems caused by H. pylori infection. Amoxicillin, metronidazole, clarithromycin are some of the antibiotics that might be prescribed to destroy the H. pylori germs. Hydrochloric acid released by the cells lining the stomach wall during digestion can irritate the ulcers formed. So, in order to reduce secretion of stomach acid, short term usage of proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole (Prilosec) and esomeprazole (Nexium) may be recommended.
When there is any kind of obstruction to flow of food, in the form of intestinal blockage or gastroparesis (damaged vagus nerve, stomach can not empty itself of food in a normal way), then it leads to hypoactive sounds of bowel.
Although auscultating for sounds coming from the bowel can be an important indicator of an underlying digestive system disease, one needs to also do other tests to reach a final diagnosis. Various conditions like gastrointestinal bleeding, radiation to the abdominal area, paralytic ileus (nerve problem), blocked blood vessels, hernia, growth, adhesions, indigestion, etc. can change the nature of bowel sounds. When the underlying condition has actually been zeroed in, need to a treatment plan be meted out.
As cited already, if you discover your stool smothered in mucous occasionally, then do not worry yourself. But if you observe the same occurring often, and worsening with time, then obtain diagnosed by a certified doctor so that you can rule out potential problems, and treat them at the earliest.
Tightness in stomach muscles could be due to a pulled or strained muscle in the stomach. This could result from an external injury or trauma caused to the stomach muscles by some exercise such as exercise or sports.
The gastrointestinal disorders may contribute to cause, or be the sole cause of causing severe pain in the flank region. Peptic ulcers, gastrointestinal disorder, gastroenteritis, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) are some of the major perpetrators to affect the area. Primarily, it is when your digestive system suffers a persistent disorientation that back pain, resulting in discomfort in the region, may happen. Nausea, feeling lightheaded, regurgitation, and acid reflux are the accompanying symptoms.
Licorice roots are otherwise known as sweet wood, sweet root, black sugar, and liquorice. The most common use of licorice root is for treating respiratory problems, like bronchitis and asthma. It is also widely used as an expectorant, and is an active ingredient in cough syrups. It is found to be effective for easing the signs of allergic conditions, like hay fever and allergic rhinitis.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): Abdominal cramping accompanied by loose motions is an indication of irritable bowel syndrome. IBS is an intestinal problem that can cause moderate to severe stomach pain. Diagnosed in 20% of the world's population, this digestive tract disorder particularly targets the colon (the large intestine), that leads to food digestion problems. Overeating and excess alcohol consumption are the primary contributing aspects to IBS.
- Short, you should consult your doctor if intermittent/ reoccurring stomach or gastrointestinal upsets are observed.
- Progressive depression or sleepiness and tiredness should always be discussed with your doctor.
- Constant headache, neck and back pain, skin problems, allergies, irritability, poor appetite should never be neglected.
- Family members can discover the changes in the behavior of a person immediately.
- These changes, in some cases, indicate liver dysfunction.
- Liver diseases and disorders are often diagnosed when they reach the final or advanced stage.
- It is possible that the signs of liver conditions are misinterpreted or misdiagnosed.
- You should talk about all your problems with your doctor during routine medical checkup.
- Do not hesitate to consult your doctor if you discover any of the above signs.
People with IBS often experience both constipation and diarrhoea, and for most people, symptoms will go away after a bowel movement. Victims with diarrhoea will have loose, watery stools, often feel an urgent need to go to the toilet, or find it difficult to control their defecation. Others with IBS have fewer bowel movements and will struggle to release even a small amount of stool.
Crohn's Disease: Crohn's Disease is a Common Cause of Colitis
Crohn's disease is a condition which affects the whole of the digestive tract and this means that it can cause more varied symptoms and side effects. In some cases Crohn's disease can cause serious issues as the immune system is malfunctioning and the body is no longer able to absorb nutrients to the same degree. Crohn's illness treatment is also more complicated. Corticosteroids may be used to reduce swelling, but can not be used for prolonged periods due to negative effects. Similarly surgery is not a cure as of course the whole of the of the digestive tract can not possible be removed.
Ectopic Pregnancy: An ectopic pregnancy is diagnosed in the first 5 - 10 weeks of pregnancy. Sudden burning sensation in the stomach during pregnancy and lower abdominal pain are early ectopic pregnancy symptoms. The other symptoms experienced are abnormal vaginal bleeding, nausea, throwing up, and low blood pressure.