Effexor Spastic Colon: Natural Treatments for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) includes a group of health conditions, which causes pain and discomfort in the intestinal tract. The most common symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain, stomach pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. It is estimated that one out of every five Americans deals with the symptoms of this syndrome. Though IBS disturbs the normal day-to-day activities, it seldom triggers long-term health complications.
Tightness in stomach muscles could be due to a pulled or strained muscle in the stomach. This could result from an external injury or trauma caused to the stomach muscles by some exercise such as exercise or sports.
Most of the time, this condition is not serious, but if it is accompanied by symptoms such as fever, blood in stools, vomiting and severe abdominal discomfort, it is encouraged to consult a doctor for proper medical diagnosis and treatment, as in such a circumstance, discomfort in stomach could be due to some serious conditions such as a stomach ulcer, Crohn's disease or perhaps appendicitis.
Lower left rib pain is often the result of sports injury, but can also occur due to an underlying medical problem. Lifting a little pail of water, a short morning walk and even deep breathing might trigger lower rib pain, depending upon how severe the underlying cause is.
When there is any kind of obstruction to flow of food, in the form of intestinal obstruction or gastroparesis (damaged vagus nerve, stomach can not empty itself of food in a normal way), then it leads to hypoactive sounds of bowel.
- Other Causes: Some infections caused by protozoan parasites giardiasis and amoebiasis can be responsible for this condition.
- Some other underlying health problems like gallbladder disease, liver disease, diabetes, and malnutrition are the other extreme diarrhea triggers.
The gastrointestinal disorders may contribute to cause, or be the sole cause of resulting in severe pain in the flank region. Peptic ulcers, gastrointestinal disorder, gastroenteritis, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) are some of the major culprits to affect the area. Primarily, it is when your digestive system suffers a persistent disorientation that pain in the back, resulting in discomfort in the region, may occur. Queasiness, feeling lightheaded, regurgitation, and acid reflux are the accompanying symptoms.
- Crohn's disease, where there is idiopathic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis also lead to an increase in bowel sound.
- Simply put, you should consult your doctor if intermittent/ reoccurring stomach or gastrointestinal upsets are seen.
- Progressive depression or lethargy and tiredness should always be discussed with your doctor.
- Consistent headache, back pain, skin problems, allergies, irritation, poor appetite should never be neglected.
- Family members can notice the changes in the behavior of a person immediately.
- These changes, in some cases, suggest liver dysfunction.
- Liver illness and conditions are often diagnosed when they reach the final or advanced stage.
- It is possible that the symptoms of liver conditions are misinterpreted or misdiagnosed.
- You should discuss all your problems with your doctor throughout routine medical checkup.
- Don't hesitate to consult your doctor if you see any of the above signs.
- Laxative Use Excessive use of laxatives also results in green bowels.
- This is since the laxative causes the bowels movements to occur very rapidly, thereby causing the bowel to end up with discolored wastes.
Treatment: As the cause is not identified, treatment is aimed at alleviating the symptoms. So, the medications will be prescribed depending upon the signs that might occur. For instance, anti-diarrheal medicines such as loperamide might be given to stop diarrhea. Dietary changes such as preventing gas producing foods are also necessary to control IBS signs.
- Celiac Disease: It is an autoimmune disorder, affecting the small intestine.
- People experience severe side effects on consuming gluten-containing foods.
Licorice roots are otherwise known as sweet wood, sweet root, black sugar, and liquorice. The most common use of licorice root is for treating respiratory problems, like bronchitis and asthma. It is also widely used as an expectorant, and is an active ingredient in cough syrups. It is found to be effective for easing the signs of allergic conditions, like hay fever and allergic rhinitis.
Maintaining good food hygiene, avoiding milk products and following food safety practices such as cooking it properly is the mainstay of the treatment for stomach cramps and diarrhea. Keep in mind, that a visit with the doctor is essential when these health problems do not go away or keep repeating at short intervals. Even an intestinal tract obstruction can cause stomach upset and pain. Therefore, diagnosing the cause and treating it at the earliest will work in favor of the client and prevent further complications.
Some cases, food allergy and gastroenteritis may also lead to hyperactive noises emanating from the bowel. Intake of milk by a person, who is lactose intolerant, and consumption of gluten by a person, who is diagnosed with celiac disease, can lead to exaggerated bowel noises.
- Ways to repair IBS: Intake of probiotics is a much recommended treatment for IBS.
- Probiotics are the good bacteria that live in the intestinal tract linings and help in the improvement of the gastrointestinal functions.
You suffer from IBS then you will generally have to deal with abdominal discomfort and irregular bowel movements. You might have periods of constipation followed by diarrhoea. You may also have a great deal of flatulence because of this problem. Doctors are not very specific about what causes IBS but they have actually noted a relationship between this issue and various food intolerances. These include lactose and gluten intolerance as well as fructose malabsorption. As a result, it makes a great deal of sense for you to change your diet significantly so that you can reduce the occurrences of this issue and also bring down the severity of the signs.
- Stomach Infections: Infections that target the digestive tract can also trigger health problems such as stomach ulcers and gastroenteritis.
- Abdominal cramps together with diarrhea and throwing up are the common symptoms of a variety of stomach ailments.
- People with stomach problems, often lose the desire to have food.
- Abdominal discomfort is often regarded as a precursor to stomach ulcers.
Reasons for Excessive Flatulence
Gassy Foods People who have supper that is high on gassy foods are predisposed to stomach pain due to excessive gas information. As the name suggests, gassy foods are foodstuffs that promote production of gas in the intestinal tract. So, eating too much of gassy foods during evening can cause excessive belching. Soluble fiber foods as well as those high in fructose (a type of sugar) and complex carbohydrates are all considered as gassy foods that are responsible for excessive release of gas during digestion. Some of the common foods items notorious for producing unwanted gas are given below: Indigestion.
- Causes Lots of people experience stomach cramps and diarrhea in the morning.
- This is often the result of bad eating habits, excessive alcohol or coffee consumption.
- Digestive disorders that cause these health issues are provided below:
Crohn's Disease: When the digestive tract gets inflamed, the condition is referred to as Crohn's disease. The repercussions of Crohn's disease include loose stools and stomach pain. Sometimes, swelling is detected in a specific part of the digestive tract that leads to moderate stomach pain and diarrhea. Crohn's disease sometimes triggers formation of small sores (open injuries) on the outside wall of the intestine. If the condition is left untreated, the sores may spread to inner intestinal wall, which may decrease appetite, ultimately causing significant weight reduction. Inflammation of the tissue in the digestive tract is a cause for concern as intake of foods, especially hard foodstuffs such as toasts can hurt the tissue and cause extreme bleeding. As an outcome, blood in stools might be detected during bowel evacuation.
Increased Bacterial Population
Typically, the friendly bacteria that produce gas and aid in digestion live in the large intestine. However, when their population increases substantially, they might travel up to the small intestine and interact with food that is yet to be absorbed. As bacteria gets exposed to undigested food regularly in the small intestine, it can cause excessive belching anytime after having heavy meals.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): Abdominal cramping accompanied by loose motions is an indication of irritable bowel syndrome. IBS is an intestinal problem that can cause moderate to severe stomach pain. Diagnosed in 20% of the world's population, this digestive tract disorder particularly targets the colon (the large intestine), that leads to food digestion problems. Overeating and excess alcohol consumption are the primary contributory elements to IBS.
UTI: If you are struggling with a urinary tract infection (UTI), then you may experience signs like pain in the lower abdomen and burning experience during urination. Women also experience pain during intercourse. Other symptoms experienced by adults throughout UTI are chills, queasiness, pain during urination, blood in urine, foul-smelling urine, and low-grade fever.
- The long run.
- Although practically 60% people do not deal with any serious symptoms post surgery, some are not so lucky.
- They deal with various side effects after gallbladder removal, which are as follows.
- Costochondritis Costochondritis is a condition where the cartilages connecting the ribs with the breast bone are infected and irritated.
- It is caused due to a viral infection, and it causes sharp gnawing pain under the left rib cage, more so while breathing deeply.
- The signs of costochondritis are often confused with that of a heart attack.
- Medical examination can help diagnose the situation.
Abdominal Pain After Eating can be Mild as Well as Serious
Nevertheless, intensity is not necessarily proportional to the gravity of the underlying condition. On the contrary, a severe cramp-like pain is often due to harmless condition like gases or bloating, while a dangerous condition like cancer might induce moderate or no abdominal pain. Severe pain that starts and stops all of a sudden is mainly due to kidney stones or gallstones. Also, the pain may be localized or generalized, meaning, it restricts itself to a single organ or spreads throughout the stomach. Gases, bloating etc., result in generalized pain, while stomach pain after consuming alcohol is mostly due to liver dysfunction. In women, lower left abdominal pain and nausea are the major premenstrual signs.
The Pelvis is a Large Structure Present At the Lower Part of the Abdomen
The pelvic or the hip girdle consists of bones that protect intestines, bladder and reproductive organs in human beings. In women, the pelvic girdle also protects the uterus. Irregularities and disorders of these organs or digestive organs can result in pain in the pelvic area. The pain may or may not be accompanied by other symptoms.
- Diarrhea In most cases, diarrhea removes within a few weeks time.
- However, some people seem to deal with diarrhea even in the long run.
- Having to go to the washroom right after meals, especially high-fat meals is the common grievance.
- Considering that the liver has no place to store the bile, it keeps releasing bile into the small intestine.
- Often the small intestine gets overwhelmed by the amount of bile produced, and fails to reabsorb it.
- These bile salts then enter the large intestine and act as laxatives, thus resulting in diarrhea.
Diverticulitis: Studies show that people who have crossed 60 years of age, tend to experience diverticulosis, a condition in which sac like structures (pouches, also referred to as diverticula) kind on the the inner wall of the large intestine (colon). In most cases, these multiple pouches occur in the lower left region of the colon. These pouches are safe and normally do not interfere with normal bowel function. Hence, many do not even realize that they are having diverticula. However, when these pouches get swollen due to an infection, the condition is referred to as diverticulitis. This condition is characterized by cramps that usually occur in the left side abdominal region. Apart from cramping, diverticulitis also disturbs typical bowel habits, which might lead to bloody and watery stools.
Food Poisoning: Eating contaminated food items often cause food poisoning, which often times is not serious but can cause diarrhea and is accompanied by stomach cramps.
- Crohn's Disease: It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), characterized by inflammation in the lining of the intestinal tract.
- Genetics and incorrect functioning of the immune system are thought to be the possible causes.
- Apart from these, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, pregnancy can be the prospective causes of pain in right side of pelvic girdle in ladies.
- On the other hand, piles, varicoceles, kidney conditions, etc. can cause pelvic pain on lower right side in men.
- If one observes throbbing or sharp pelvic pain for a very long time, he/ she must consult the doctor immediately for correct diagnosis and treatment.
- Barrett's Esophagus: It is a problem of GERD.
- People experiencing Barrett's Esophagus are at a high risk of dealing with esophageal cancer.
- Indigestion A sudden onset of pain in lower left rib area can also be a sign of indigestion.
- A heavy lunch followed by excessive burping is a symptom of indigestion, which can cause rib pain.
- Overeating can also lead to belching gas buildup in the stomach and trigger left rib discomfort.
just an update, my body seems to be shutting down.
Cholecystitis: In cholecystitis, the gallbladder, a muscular organ located below the liver, appears irritated. The main task of the gallbladder is to collect bile (gastrointestinal juice) from the liver and pass it on to the stomach to promote digestion. Formation of gallstones in the gallbladder is the most common cause of cholecystitis. Cholecystitis patients typically complain about cramping pain in the right side stomach and suffer from unwanted changes in healthy bowel function such as diarrhea. As the condition progresses, it might affect the liver and cause jaundice.
Digestive Tract Disorders
Intestinal problems like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and diverticulitis can likewise hinder digestion, leading to excessive gas after eating. Patients affected with diverticulitis show presence of irritated diverticula. Diverticula are nothing but small irregular tissue growth that are seen extending from the intestinal wall. When these bulging pouches become swollen, the condition is referred to as diverticulitis that is generally marked by stomach pain, undesirable changes in bowel pattern (constipation and diarrhea) and reduced appetite due to nausea and vomiting.
As mentioned already, if you discover your stool smothered in mucous occasionally, then do not worry yourself. But if you see the same occurring frequently, and worsening with time, then get yourself diagnosed by a certified medical professional so that you can rule out potential problems, and treat them at the earliest.
Treatment: Antibiotics is the first line of treatment for stomach problems caused by H. pylori infection. Amoxicillin, metronidazole, clarithromycin are some of the antibiotics that might be prescribed to destroy the H. pylori germs. Hydrochloric acid released by the cells lining the stomach wall during digestion can irritate the ulcers formed. So, in order to reduce secretion of stomach acid, short term use of proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole (Prilosec) and esomeprazole (Nexium) may be recommended.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Left abdominal pain under ribs can also be the consequence of diseases like IBS. IBS is a condition that affects the normal functioning of the intestinal tract and triggers diarrhea, constipation, gas and lower abdominal pain under rib cage.
- Treatment: People with broken ribs may recover within 5-6 weeks without any medical intervention.
- Although development of cracks in the ribs may not be a severe issue, it is painful.
- In such a scenario, one can take over the counter painkillers such as acetaminophen to ease pain.
- Also, take adequate rest and prevent any activity that puts strain on the damaged muscles.
- Application of ice pack can also help to reduce the pain and swelling connected with broken ribs.
If your body is intolerant to even a very small quantity of aluminum, you must take oxy-powder rather of bentonite clay and psyllium husk. It is good to take bentonite clay with psyllium husk if you want to enjoy maximum benefits of the clay. As mentioned above, psyllium helps prevent the clay from getting stuck in your intestines and it promotes cleansing and cleansing. The clay should not be taken within two hours after taking medications or supplements. There should be at least one hour gap in between bentonite shake and anything nutritional because bentonite (especially when taken with psyllium husk), will absorb the nutrients also (like friendly bacteria, vitamins) along with toxic substances and bad germs.
General, the clay takes in some nutrients so it is recommended to take some dietary supplements regularly, when taking bentonite. It is suggested that aged people and pregnant women shouldn't take this clay or items containing the clay. Bentonite clay in itself does not cause constipation. However, it might stick to the digestive tract and lead to a constipation-like feeling in case one's diet plan lacks fiber or if one's everyday water intake is insufficient. In this case, it is advisable to combine psyllium husks with the clay and increase one's intake of water.
- Appendicitis: Appendicitis causes inflammation of the appendix, a small 4-inch tubular structure at the beginning of the large intestine.
- Cramps that cause sharp pain in the right side stomach is the most common symptom of appendicitis.
- Besides causing severe belly pain and fever, patients may also experience diarrhea or irregularity.
- Causes The pain in pelvic region can in some cases take a trip to the abdominal area, back or to the thigh.
- Secondly, sometimes, you may also experience the discomfort when the bladder is complete.
- It is essential to identify the specific location and nature of the pain in order to get the underlying condition diagnosed properly.
- This condition is more common in women than in men as the uterus is located in that region in women.
- Treatment: Drinking lots of water and following a high fiber diet is a time-honored way to guarantee smooth bowel movement.
- So, eating raw vegetables (salads) and fruits daily complemented with adequate fluid intake can work wonders to keep constipation at bay.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
IBS triggered by diarrhea and dysentery make the intestine empty and very dry due to which it produces larger amounts of mucus to keep the colon well lubed. This mucus is then passed through stools, which is usually not a cause of worry as once the primary illness is dealt with, the excessive mucus productions stops.
Normal Bowel Sounds.
When assessing abdominal sounds, you need to take your stethoscope, and place it on all four quadrants. Typically, the bowel noises are heard very clearly in the lower right quadrant, which is where the ileo-cecal region is. Regular bowel sound is heard as high-pitched and slightly gurgling-like sound. These sounds are produced due to mixing of gas/air with fluid during peristaltic motion of the muscles. A lot of bowel sounds are normal and harmless. Needless to say, these sounds are loudest prior to mealtimes (which is why our stomach 'growls' when we're hungry).
When a person is sleeping, there may not be any activity of the gastrointestinal tract, due to which, no sound may be heard. Hypoactive or absent bowel sounds during sleep are considered to be normal, and there is no need for individuals to feel that this may be a sign of an underlying disease or disorder.
Ectopic Pregnancy: an Ectopic Pregnancy is Diagnosed in the First 5
10 weeks of pregnancy. Sudden burning sensation in the stomach during pregnancy and lower abdominal pain are early ectopic pregnancy symptoms. The other symptoms experienced are abnormal vaginal bleeding, nausea, throwing up, and low blood pressure.