I Have Gerd And Ibs: Small Intestine Diseases
The small intestine, which is also called small bowel, is the area of the gastrointestinal tract that is located between the stomach and the large intestine. The small intestine makes up duodenum, jejunum, and ileum. Though it is called little intestine, it is in fact the largest part of the digestive tract. The length of the small intestine in adults is around 6 meters. Though the large intestine is about 1.5 meters long, it is called so due to its width. While the small intestine is around 2.5 to 3.5 cm wide, the diameter of the large intestine has to do with 10 cm. Small bowel performs vital functions including digestion of food and absorption of essential nutrients from the food into the body. There are a number of diseases that can affect the function of the small bowel in an adverse way.
Xanax can interact with certain drugs such as barbiturates, which may exacerbate its sedative properties. Also, antifungal agents like ketoconazole and itraconazole can slow down the metabolism of Xanax, making its sedative effect last longer. So, notify your doctor if your pet is put on any other medication.
- All these factors interrupt the rhythm of chyme movement from the stomach through the intestinal system to the anus.
- So, this triggers the contents of the colon to move in an abnormal way.
- The chyme might move too quickly, or may not move at all.
- Nevertheless, the condition does not raise any major or severe concerns, and can be easily handled.
Doctors are still not able to trace the causes of this bowel condition. Researchers believe that a bacterial infection in the intestinal tract may lead to IBS. If the intestinal tract is sensitive to certain foods, it can damage the colon giving rise to IBS. A weakened immune system vulnerable to viral infections may also lead to IBS.
- Treatment: Complications can occur when the contents of the intestinal tract spill over from the perforation into the abdomen.
- The treatment of this condition involves repairing the perforation through surgery.
Sometimes, cysts are formed in the ovaries of women, better known as ovarian cysts. Existence of cysts in the left ovary triggers moderate to severe left side abdominal pain. Many-a-times, surgical treatment has to be performed to remove the cysts from the ovary.
- Stomach pain is caused due to minor conditions, it can be treated with pain killers or by taking rest.
- However, it is advised not to take any medication without prescription.
- Green Bile As we all know, the liver produces a green colored digestive juice called the bile.
- The production of bile is necessary to ensure proper digestion of food.
- It is a known fact that stool development takes place in the big intestine.
- When the bile gets in the large intestine, it eventually turns yellowish brown and then mixes with the stool.
- This is the reason why stool appears brown in color.
- However, if the bile and the stool formed move quickly out of the large intestine, it is not likely that the bile will end up being yellow.
- So, with the bile color remaining the same (green), the waste matter also appears greenish-yellow throughout bowel movement.
Treatment - if the condition gets diagnosed at an early stage, then medications to soften stools, suppositories and other medications are good enough to correct the condition. However, when the condition becomes too severe to be treated with medicines, surgery is the only alternative to repair the problem.
Symptoms: Children affected by this condition are likely to experience severe stomach pain, bloating, constipation, nausea, vomiting and sudden weight loss. In adults, the symptoms consist of joint pain, seizures, fatigue and anemia. Irregularities in menstruation might be experienced by women who suffer from celiac disease.
- Causes As aforementioned, blood in stools is a warning sign of a disease, more specifically a food poisoning.
- The most common causes of red or tarry stools include stomach ulcers and damage to the veins in the stomach during vomiting.
- Other causes are given below:
An obstruction in the intestinal tracts due to reasons like volvulus, hernia, Crohn's disease or also due to any adhesion or injury can lead to bowel obstruction. Apart from pain in the abdominal area, muscle cramping and throwing up are the other signs.
- Gas-producing Food There are certain foods, which are known for causing gas problem, which in turn lead to a bloated stomach.
- Foods, such as legumes, beans, cabbage, etc. feature in this category.
How I Cured My IBS, Constipation, and Acid Reflux Naturally
Do you have digestion, reflux, or anxiety problems? Check out this video. Please watch all of it and really think about what I have to say.
Small Intestine Cancer
Cancer is a severe medical condition that is characterized by development of a tumor due to abnormal and uncontrolled cell division. Small bowel cancer is rare when compared with other cancers of the intestinal tract. There are five kinds of cancer that can affect the small bowel. These include adenocarcinoma, gastrointestinal stromal tumor, lymphoma, sarcoma, and carcinoid tumors.
Causes: This condition can result from trauma to the intestine during a surgical treatment. Perforation could also occur during procedures such as enema or colonoscopy. Swallowing a sharp object can also lead to an injury. Medical conditions that can make a person susceptible to this condition include appendicitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, roundworm problem, or cancer.
Ulcerative Colitis: Ulcerative colitis is colitis in which the swelling is an outcome of autoimmune function where the immune system has started assaulting the colon. This then triggers the appearance of many ulcers on the colon along with the broken function. In severe cases treatment for ulcerative colitis is surgery (colectomy) but in immunotherapy can be utilized in order to prevent the body immune system from turning on the colon.
Another kind of inflammatory bowel disease associated with white fluffy mucus in stool is the ailment called ulcerative colitis. This occurs when part of the digestive system is chronically inflamed, and ulcers form on the lining of the colon. Bleeding may occur in these ulcers, accompanied by the production of pus or mucus, which may be eventually passed in the stool. Signs other than mucus, might consist of rectal bleeding, abdominal cramps, weight loss, bloody diarrhea, fatigue, and dehydration.
- Salmonella: This pathogen can cause salmonella gastrointestinal disorder.
- Salmonella infection, often is caused due to polluted poultry items, like raw eggs.
As stress has been considered as one of the causes of IBS, a part of the treatment also consists of taking up measures which might help in managing stress. Parents need to ensure that their kids are getting enough sleep, as well as enough time to be involved in video games and sports. They must also be aware if the kids are working excessive at school, and if they are in some way skipping meals in any part of the day.
Bavolex Irritable Bowel Syndrome ReliefBavolex IBS Relief contains soothing herbal ingredients created to support and soothe digestion. Bavolex's active ingredients have been used safely for hundreds of years to support healthy digestive tract, help reducing irritation from diarrhea and constipation. Now they are all integrated into this unique IBS formula. Decreasing bowel inflammation and supporting healthy digestion has been proven to relieve the flare-ups associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Click Here to Learn More »
- Causes: Certain medical conditions can put a person at a greater risk of developing SBBO.
- These include selective IgA shortage, motility disorders, diabetes, intestinal obstruction, diverticulosis, and scleroderma.
- Excessive intake of green vegetables may result in green defecation which is thought about as normal.
- Intake of some medications, supplements, or food poisoning might lead to green stools.
- Children sometimes consume chalks or wax colors.
- In that case, green stool might be discovered.
- In most cases, green stools show dysfunction of colon.
- Constipation Irregularity is a health condition where a person has a difficulty in having regular bowel movement.
- It can be persistent or acute, and can occur due to various factors.
- Stomach pain are bloating are the common symptoms of constipation.
Bacterial infections of the gastrointestinal tract, that triggers inflammation of the intestinal tract can also cause floating stools. For instance, people affected with irritable bowel syndrome, pass stools that have the tendency to float. Also, in this condition, too much of mucus is observed in the stools. Also, during bowel movement the person experiences abdominal cramps. Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's illness and ulcerative colitis that cause swelling and development of ulcers in the intestine can also lead to feces floating. Besides, blood in the stools can also be identified and is followed by stomach cramping. In this condition, the stool also appear black and tarry.
Good or Bad?
Now we have finally reached the definitive point of the uncertainty about flaxseed oil. Well, despite being cited as the wealthiest plant source of numerous nutrients, flaxseed and its oil has many side effects. Although rich in fatty acids, they are not enough to provide you all the health and healing properties that you need. In fact, various clinical studies have shown in the past that most of the so-called benefits of flaxseed oil are absolutely nothing but a marketing extravaganza.
Order to boost up their sales and market value of their products, many makers have started to attract support for a couple of false health effects. It is true that this oil consists of different essential nutrients, but their amount is not enough to supply major health benefits! Thus, according to scientists, claims of flaxseed oil being effective against various types of cancer like prostate cancer, breast cancer, inflammation and different inflammatory diseases and various autoimmune diseases, are not so true. In truth, experts claim that increased consumption of this oil may rather intensify particular medical conditions like diabetes and gastrointestinal illness.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test: This is one test that is used when blood in feces is not visible to the naked eye.
- In such a case, unusual color may not be seen, due to presence of small amount of blood in stool.
- This test is the most reliable way to confirm blood in feces.
- In order to detect the underlying cause, various blood tests are performed.
- This is a low-cost, non invasive treatment that offers information about the exact quantity of blood in stool sample.
- An easy way to carry out fecal occult blood test is offered below:
- Symptoms: The symptoms of these conditions include stomach pain, cramps, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
- Treatment: The treatment involves the use of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- In severe cases, surgery may be recommended.
- Diarrhea can be described as a condition where loose defecation take place due to some abnormality in the intestinal tracts.
- Many individuals mistakenly assume it to be a disease, but in fact it is a sign that indicates an underlying health issue in the body.
- When the loose bowel movements take place a number of times in a day, then it is considered as extreme diarrhea.
- It is typically accompanied by bloating, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, anorexia nervosa, etc.
- When a large amount of fluid is lost from the body, excessive diarrhea causes dehydration.
People with IBS have sensitive bowels that simply can not endure alcohol consumption. The irritation due to alcohol consumption can activate intestinal spasms and aggravate this inflammatory condition of bowels. The initial mood enhancing feeling of drinking alcohol may be followed by days of debilitating abdominal pain and diarrhea. So, if you are complaining about IBS, alcohol can make it agonizingly painful.
Medical problems associated with gastrointestinal system can also lead to floating and foul-smelling stool. However, in this case, feces floating is commonly accompanied by staining of stools. Also the water content and the texture in these stools deviates from regular expectations. It is explained listed below:
Pancreas is a tube-shaped organ, located behind the stomach. Its head pushes the right side while its tail extends towards the left side of the body. Conditions like long term usage of alcohol and gallstones cause swelling of the pancreas. Such a disorder is medically described by the term pancreatitis.
Sleepiness is the most commonly observed side effect of Xanax in dogs. So your pet if put on this antianxiety medication may end up being too sleepy. However, this excessive sleepiness can make your pet somewhat awkward. However, this sedative result in your family pet may indicate that it has been administered in higher doses than prescribed. Xanax, when given at a lower dose, can help relieve stress and anxiety without causing any sedation. So make sure that the drug is administered in the right dose. Other side effects that might occur include gastrointestinal upset, which may cause throwing up, gas, and diarrhea.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common term utilized to describe a variety of stomach illness and conditions. The precise cause of IBS is not known, nevertheless, it is thought that sensitivity of the bowel muscles can lead to this illness. Muscle cramps, diarrhea, constipation, stomach and pelvic pain are the symptoms of IBS.
Simple diagnostic tests will make certain if a person is suffering from a bacterial infection. A blood test, or urinalysis might be performed to comprehend the type of infection and in order to prescribe appropriate treatment. If the requirement emerges, your doctor may purchase for culture test of the tissue to further the line of treatment. Lots of bacterial infections that are mild get cured by themselves, however in serious cases, the healthcare provider will recommend antibiotics to deal with the condition.
- Anyone with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) will understand that living with it is really awful.
- You never ever understand when the next attack is going to strike.
- Some sufferers are always on the lookout for the closest rest room and prepare their day around not being too far from a bathroom.
- Other people do not go there often adequate.
- In either case, the pain can be dreadful.
Need a simple, non-invasive breath tests to find out whether you have fructose, lactose and sorbitol malabsorption and small intestine bacterial overgrowth? Take the test from Stream Diagnostics, Australia's leading provider of hydrogen/methane breath tests.
Foods for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Some think that they can just eat bland or dull food when dealing with IBS, however that is not true. Depending on the severity of your irritable bowel syndrome, you may find that only a few foods cause issues. In general, there are just a couple of foods that you ought to avoid if you wish to stop a flare-up. These foods typically cause problems in numerous patients experiencing the condition.
Injury to the back or the vertebrae is one of the most typical causes. It can be caused due to strain in the muscles caused due to muscle pull or twist. Second of all, sprain triggered due to abrupt twisting or wrenching of the ligaments also leads to sudden lower pain in the back.
Symptoms: The signs for this condition include groin pain, a feeling of pressure or heaviness in the groin, difficulty in passing stool, development of a lump in the groin, and intestinal blockage. The strength of pain might increase when the affected specific bends, coughs, or laughs. Hernia that becomes trapped in the groin region is called incarcerated hernia. Strangulated hernia is an issue of hernia. It takes place when the blood supply is cut off to incarcerated hernia. It needs immediate medical attention.
Beside all these medical reasons, the pain may be because of injury or an abdominal muscle strain due to strenuous activity, like heavy exercise or lifting up heavy objects. While conditions like gastritis or irritable bowel syndrome are not life-threatening, ectopic pregnancy or colon cancer surely needs immediate medical attention. It is always suggested to avoid self-diagnosis and get proper treatment done.
Small Bowel Overgrowth Syndrome
Both the small and large intestine contain particular strains of bacteria. A person is diagnosed with small bowel bacterial overgrowth when these bacteria are present in abnormally large numbers in the small intestine.
- The exact cause for this condition is still not known, but abnormal muscle contractions of the digestive tract could be a reason.
- This kind of contraction could be either due to a problem of the brain (which controls muscle contraction) or the colon.
- Most of the affected people experience either diarrhea or irregularity mostly.
- In some patients, both conditions may alternate, due to the spastic action of the colon.
- Spastic colon causes consist of trigger factors, like certain foods, stress, other illnesses, like intestinal infections.
- Soluble fiber supplements: These supplements are produced by pharmaceutical companies and are based upon different ranges of fiber.
- Psyllium is one such type.
- It is a soluble plant fiber.
- Numerous popular fiber supplements such as Metamucil and Konsyl are based upon psyllium.
- It is known to relieve constipation and is likewise a dietary fiber supplement for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
- Methylcellulose and guar gum are other examples of plant fiber, which form the basis of artificial fiber supplements.
- A well-known synthetic fiber is calcium polycarbophil.
- The drugs called Fibercon and Equalactin are made with it.
- Pain in the lower quadrant of the abdomen can be caused due to many reasons.
- In most of the cases, it is caused due to an injury or a condition in any of the vital organs situated in the abdomen.
- Nevertheless, there can also be other underlying causes.
Medications In case the person is having green vegetables in moderate amounts and also is not experiencing intestinal problems then green poop may be due to intake of medicines like prescription antibiotics.
- Ovarian Cyst: Ovarian cyst could be yet another cause.
- This is caused when a cyst, which is a fluid filled sac, is formed in the left ovary of a female.
Crohn's illness is another type of inflammatory bowel disease that is defined by the swelling of the intestinal tract. The exact cause of Crohn's illness is unidentified, but it is believed that the swelling could be an irregular reaction of the immune system. Genes and ecological elements could contribute in the development of this condition. Crohn's illness tends to run in families, and those who have a family history of this chronic inflammatory condition are more likely to obtain affected. The typical signs of this condition consist of persistent diarrhea, abdominal pain, cramps, loss of appetite, weight reduction, tiredness, rectal bleeding, etc. The clients may develop anal fissures (tear in the lining of the rectum) or fistula (a small channel that establishes in between the anal canal and the skin around the rectum).
Symptoms: A person who is suffering from this condition is most likely to experience symptoms such as pain, a feeling of fullness, excessive gas, distended stomach, diarrhea, bloating, or stomach cramps.
- Eating foodstuffs that are not prepared correctly or prepared in unsanitary conditions can cause food poisoning.
- Having contaminated food makes a person fall sick and the illness may give rise to green defecation.
- Diverticulitis Diverticulitis is a condition that develops when the diverticula or the sacs located inside the stomach get inflamed.
- Sharp stomach pain, fever, queasiness, changes in bowel habits, etc., are the signs of diverticulitis.
Eating too Fast and/or Overeating Due to a busy lifestyle, many a time, people do not have the time to eat in leisure. Eating too fast should be avoided as it can cause a bloated stomach. Sometimes, we skip our meals, and when we do eat, we tend to overeat. This burdens the digestive system causing a bloated feeling in the stomach.
Intestinal Parasitic Infections: Another rather common cause is amoebiasis. This is an infectious disease that affects the large intestine, and is mostly contracted when someone eats or drinks contaminated food or water, containing Entamoeba histolytica, an intestinal parasite. In this disease, the amoeba attach themselves to the large intestine, and cause serious symptoms like bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea, and fever. In the initial phases there are mostly no symptoms, but if the person's resistance is low, or if the number of amoeba suddenly increase, then the symptoms become visible. This condition is contagious, as the stool that is passed consists of the parasites, for this reason, it can contaminate the water that it comes in contact with, and spread. Another example of an intestinal parasite is giardiasis, where the causative agent for the condition is a parasite called Giardia lamblia.
Stools floating is perfectly normal, thanks to its high water content. Stools that float usually have brownish-yellow color. They are soft, but that doesn't mean they are watery. Most importantly, they are not hard, hence one does not experience any pain during defecation. Normal stools that float have a diameter of around 3-3.5 cm and they do not produce any foul odor. Likewise, the floating poop is not large in size and every bowel movement throws 3-4 medium-sized stools.
- Symptoms of constipation can be relieved with laxatives, having a high-fiber diet, hydration, etc.
- Medication and making changes in way of life and diet can help in treating diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome.