Ibs Support Groups: Senior Citizens and Constipation
Although everyone experiences constipation sometimes, senior citizens tend to experience it more often. Constipation particularly explains a symptom of some hidden cause characterized by less regular bowel movements, more time required to pass stool, and harder stool. Consistency is different for everyone, so people should not be too concerned about having a certain number of bowel movements in a certain time period.
- That's the reason why, stress needs to be the 1st one that you would like to eliminate in your life.
- Simple things like having a holiday can make stress depart.
- You might also want to try things like massage, acupuncture, and spa or merely hear a soothing music frequently.
- The need to take your attention off the things which are causing you stress and anxiety is exceedingly essential and is lots of help.
- Treatment: Antibiotics are used to treat UTI.
- Drinking adequate amounts of water, practicing good health, and safe sex helps in treatment and prevention of UTI.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is a collective term used to describe swelling of the female reproductive organs like uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. The inflammation is caused by bacteria which is also responsible for causing sexually transmitted diseases in women. The pelvic inflammatory disease is one of the most significant causes of abdominal and waist pain in women.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome The major cause of a swollen stomach is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It is one of the most common food poisonings. It involves an unusual condition of gut contractions. The particular symptoms are stomach pain, mucus in stools, bloating, and irregular bowel habits with alternating diarrhea and constipation. IBS is definitely unpleasant and disturbing but it does not lead to any additional medical complications.
- Treatment: In most of the cases, making changes in your diet and lifestyle can help in dealing with constipation.
- The doctor will also prescribe medication or laxatives to treat chronic constipation.
- In severe cases, a surgical treatment will be recommended if the person experiences intestinal blockage.
Symptoms: Passing stools for less than 3 times in a week, passing very hard stools, abdominal cramps, straining when passing stools, rectal pain, weight loss (in chronic cases), etc
- To find the correct solution or treatment for a particular gastrointestinal issue, it is important to discover its causes.
- The problems are usually triggered by wrong foods, wrong eating habits, infection, direct exposure to toxic substances, etc
- Symptoms: Mild to severe discomfort in the abdomen (on one side), vaginal bleeding, sweating, diarrhea, etc .
- Treatment: If detected in early stages, medications are prescribed to terminate the pregnancy and treat the symptoms.
- In later stages, surgical techniques may be needed to deal with the abnormalities.
Cancer Although rare, abdominal pain can be one of the symptoms of colon cancer, bowel cancer, stomach cancer (also called gastric cancer), ovarian cancer, etc. Cancer is caused due to an uncontrolled growth of cells (tumor) inside a particular organ.
Causes and Treatment Although disorders of the stomach like food poisoning, injury, infection, etc., top the list of reasons for stomach pain, it can also be caused due to reasons not related to the stomach at all.
Diseases that Affect the Small Intestine
Perforated Bowel A perforated bowel, which is also known as intestinal perforation, is a condition that can affect the little as well as the large intestine. It is characterized by the presence of a perforation or a hole in the intestine.
The final things to think about are toilet stops throughout your journey. Whether you choose to travel through coach, airplane or car there are a variety of ways to attempt preparing your toilet stops. If travelling by coach one important thing to think about is that the coach has an on-board toilet, that way you know you have access to the toilet at any time through the trip. If your selection is by car, then plan your journey and know where the toilets are on your travels. Wherever you go there will tourist board information centres which can direct you to the nearby toilets.
Last but not least, if air travel is your decision then be sure to schedule a seat beforehand which is an aisle seat, this means you won't have to clamber over people to reach the toilets. You should also think about pre booking your dietary specifications such as gluten free, low fat etc. Many people endure uneasiness when flying and for IBS affected people this can trigger symptoms of their condition, so be sure to relax and wear comfortable clothes. Some people find taking a moderate sedative can help when flying.
Holding back bowel movements: If someone chooses to have a BM at home or holds back the urge, this can eventually lead to irregularity.
Disorders like lactose intolerance, celiac disease and other such food intolerances are seen to cause bloating and abdominal distension. In such cases, the body is not able to breakdown or absorb specific food substances. These left-out food substances lead to additional gas production in the bowel. This happens due to the fact that a number of bacteria are trying their best, to break these food substances down, by various chemical reactions. This is why the person experiences bloating.
Treatment: Surgical removal of the inflamed appendix is the most recommended and reliable methods used to treat appendicitis.
- Causes Colon Problems: Colon or large intestine problems occur mainly due to collection of toxic waste materials in the colon.
- This can affect the process of absorption of vital nutrients.
- Excessive use of alcohol, laxatives, medicines, and supplements can lead to colon problems.
Causes: The exact cause of these conditions is unknown, but it is believed that genetic and immunological factors may trigger the inflammatory response. It is believed that exposure to an infectious agent might also trigger inflammation of the mucosa.
- Take your own time to chew your food.
- Don't swallow it.
- Whenever you gulp a morsel, think of the damage you are doing to your digestive system and to your appearance.
- Thinking of the latter works better for the majority.
This condition occurs when the spermatic cable (in males) gets twisted, resulting in sudden and severe pain. Due to the twisting of the cord, blood flow is affected. In severe cases, it can even lead to complete damage to the testis.
Bavolex Irritable Bowel Syndrome ReliefBavolex IBS Relief contains calming botanical ingredients developed to gently support and calm the digestive tract. Bavolex's ingredients have been used for hundreds of years to support healthy digestive tract, helping in reducing irritation from diarrhea and constipation. Now they are all integrated into this special IBS formula. Decreasing bowel inflammation and supporting healthy digestion has been proven to ease the symptoms related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
More about This Product »
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
This is a common disorder of the digestive system, more specifically, the colon. When dealing with this disorder, the person experiences alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea. The reason for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is unknown. Stress, digestion related conditions, hormonal imbalance, etc., are believed to be the possible causes.
- Lack of exercise: Inactivity or spending large amounts of time in bed or a chair for recovery from medical treatments can result in constipation.
- Since we often become less active with age, this is also likely to contribute to irregularity in seniors.
- Still, it is important that elderly people maintain an appropriate level of physical activity.
- Caregivers can encourage this with easy activities like going on walks with their patient.
- Mucus is a viscous colloid, yellow in color, which occurs in various organs of the body, consisting of the lungs and the large intestine.
- The mucous membrane is responsible for mucus production.
- The mucous safeguards the inner wall of the intestine and oils the passage of stool for easy removal.
- Normally urine is a clear fluid, however the presence of mucus in urine can make it cloudy.
Foods that Worsen IBS
Gaseous Foods Bloating and abdominal cramping is one of the most common symptoms of IBS. Gassy foods (Brussel sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, artichokes) promote accumulation of intestinal gas, which can make bloating more severe. IBS patients can get into trouble when they have meals that contain gaseous foods.
Constipation is referred to as either an acute or chronic condition in which bowel movements occur less often than typical. It may or may not include hard, dry stools that trigger pain while losing consciousness. This causes the stomach to swell. Although irregularity is not a major medical condition, it may lead to grave complications, such as bowel blockage, chronic constipation, hemorrhoids, hernia, laxative dependency, etc.
- Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, pain in the testicles and scrotum, lower abdominal discomfort, swelling, etc .
- Treatment: Surgery is required to treat testicular torsion.
- If found at an early stage, testicles can be saved.
- If not, they may have to be eliminated.
- Colitis is an unfortunate condition that affects many people at some point or the other.
- Often mistaken for IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), colitis is swelling of the colon which can have many causes.
Medical conditions: Some underlying causes of constipation include stroke, diabetes, blockage in the intestines, or a more specific condition called irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) characterized by pain, bloating, and constipation or diarrhea.
- Causes Urinary Tract Infection (UTI): A bacterial infection involving the urinary system can cause mucus in urine.
- The kidneys, bladder, urethra, and the ureters are the parts of a urinary system.
- Although any organ can get affected, usually the bacteria invades the bladder first and then slowly spread to the other parts of the urinary system.
- Discomfort while urinating is the most common symptom of UTI.
Symptoms: Difficulty and pain during urination, blood in urine, fever, queasiness, pelvic pain, tender stomach, vomiting, etc., are the symptoms of urinary tract infection.
Associated Diseases & Disorders
Burning stomach pain can be mild or extreme, depending on the illness of which it is a symptom. There are various conditions like GERD, stomach flu, UTI, lactose intolerance, etc., in which you can experience burning pain in stomach. Listed below are the various diseases which can be attributed to this sign. The other signs of the diseases are likewise noted, so that you can identify the source.
Symptoms: Diarrhea, irregularity, bloating, flatulence, abdominal cramps, headache, fatigue, discomfort, loss of appetite, etc
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS, with constipation is an uncomfortable medical condition that can be treated.
- In addition to constipation the symptoms can include recurring abdominal pains, bloating and discomfort.
- Not everybody that has IBS will suffer with constipation.
Fiber is not causing this condition, you should remove one food item at a time from your diet and check if that food item was responsible for the exact same. By doing this, you will have the ability to zero in on the foods that cause for this condition to happen and deal with them.
- Treatment: A combination of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy are the typical treatment approaches for cancer.
- Surgical removal of tumor or infected part; radiation therapy, etc., can help in dealing with cancer to a great extent, if identified early.
Following Food and Drink is of Course Medications
It is essential to take along appropriate medications on your travels to ensure your journey is not spoilt by sickness. One essential medication to take with you is rehydration sachets including Dioralyte, Electrolite or Rehidrat. These are particularly useful for times when you have the runs and feel dehydrated. Another vital medication is your very own materials of anti-spasmodics like Buscopan, Colofac or Mebeverine together with anti-diarrhoeal medications. A key piece of advice when carrying these medications is to have them in your hand luggage and in their original packages, this way you will not have any issues with customs.
- Drinking a minimum of three 12-oz servings of water or juice everyday can prevent constipation.
- Participate in a healthy amount of physical activity.
Symptoms: Signs of stomach cancer are similar to the symptoms of other stomach disorders. Pain in abdominal area, nausea, indigestion, fatigue, throwing up, weight loss, heartburn, abdominal fullness, weak point, etc., are a few of the early symptoms.
- Diverticulitis Sometimes, sacs or pouches, known as diverticula, bulge out from the wall of the colon.
- The swelling or inflammation of these diverticula is called diverticulitis.
- The exact cause of diverticulitis is unknown.
Gastroenteritis, or stomach flu, is caused due to viral infection in the stomach and intestines. It is caused due to consumption of contaminated food or water. It frequently affects children. Symptoms of this condition are similar to food poisoning.
Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary tract infection (UTI) is a collective name used to explain infection in either parts of the urinary system: the kidneys, the ureters, the bladder, or the urethra. Bacterial infection in the urinary tract gives rise to this disease.
The first and most important area to look at is drinking. A frequent situation people find themselves in is dehydration when in hotter nations. Be sure to drink a good amount of water as you can lose fluid very speedily in hot countries. Together with the warm weather being a reason for dehydration, there is that little thing we enjoy called alcohol. Alcoholic drinks aggravate dehydration and give you a headache, so you must definitely avoid drinking extreme amounts of alcohol. Now you know it is important to drink water, make sure the water you drink is bottled, as foreign countries have diverse purities of water which can result in an upset stomach. Then you must try to keep in mind to avoid swallowing any water from swimming pools or lakes, as these are not really supposed to be swallowed and are known to cause difficulties to health when ingested.
Symptoms: Lower abdominal and lower back pain, difficulty throughout urination, irregular menstrual cycle, vaginal spotting, diarrhea, vomiting, pain during sex, etc
Most of the cases, abdominal discomfort is caused due to indigestion or constipation. However, if other symptoms like fever, backache, etc., are observed along with it, you can not rule out the possibility of a serious underlying condition. As several crucial organs are located in the right abdominal area, there can be many possible reasons for persistent or acute lower abdominal pain.
Overall, we understand how hard travelling can be when you are struggling with IBS, so be sure to adhere to the ideas above about IBS support when taking a trip to make sure you holiday isn't spoilt by your IBS symptoms.
Constipation A person is diagnosed with constipation when he/she has defecation less than three times a week. Poor diet, inadequate intake of water and fluids, lack of physical activity, prolonged use of certain drugs, misuse of laxatives, etc., are some of the common contributing factors for constipation. Besides infrequent defecation, irregularity is characterized by a feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bowel, difficult evacuation of the bowel due to hard stool, bloating, and pain. As the stool ends up being hard and dry, the affected individual has to strain during defecation. This can make him/her vulnerable to the development of anal fissures, hemorrhoids, or rectal prolapse. Rectal prolapse is said to take place when a part of the lining of the intestine protrudes from the anal opening. Rectal prolapse could lead to the secretion of mucus.
- Treatment: Home treatment and medication can help in passing smaller kidney stones.
- You will need a surgery to break and get rid of large kidney stones.
- Urachal Cancer: Urachal cancer, also referred to as bladder cancer, involves unrestricted development of abnormal cells in the bladder.
- This malignant growth, noticed in the urinary bladder, is a rare form of cancer that can also cause unusual urine output.
- Urine samples of people diagnosed with urachal cancer have been checked.
- The test detected presence of mucus, and for this reason today doctors regard occasional mucus in urine as a symptom of urachal cancer.
Symptoms associated with constipation are severe, it may be necessary to talk to a doctor. You should look for medical attention if bowel habits change, if you find blood in the stool, you have major stomach discomforts, you experience weight loss without trying, or fiber and workout do not help with irregularity.
If you feel that the cause for stomach swelling in your case is IBS, then you can bring about certain changes in your diet plan to get relief. First of all, increase the intake of fiber in your diet. Fiber is present in abundance in fruits and vegetables. Make sure that you have at least three servings of fruits and vegetables daily. This will prove to be of great assistance in curing IBS at home.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
The Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), as the name suggests, is a disease characterized by swelling of the female reproductive system. It is one of the serious consequences of STD. Having a history of STDs, having unprotected sex with multiple partners, etc., increase the risk of infection. PID can lead to infertility in ladies.
There are so many more web pages out there that offer professional and valuable tips on IBS aid, so take a browse around the ones mentioned above and you should have a good idea as to which ones are valuable to you.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome The exact cause of IBS is not known, but it is believed that in case of people affected by this digestive disorder, the nerves in the intestine might be too sensitive. Affected people experience symptoms such as stomach cramping, bloating, change in bowel habits, etc. Some people may experience constipation, while others might get affected by diarrhea. At times, the affected individual may sometimes experience diarrhea, and constipation at other times. The symptoms may appear soon after meals. Other symptoms of IBS include the feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bowel and the presence of whitish mucus in the stool.
Symptoms: Sharp lower abdominal pain, lower back pain, queasiness, vomiting, problem while urination, fever, brown colored urine, etc
Treatment: Making changes in the diet and lifestyle can manage IBS to a great extent. Medicines, laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, etc., are helpful in relieving the symptoms. If IBS is caused due to stress and mental illness, the patient must go for appropriate therapy and treatment methods.
Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD): This is an infection caused by the bacteria gonorrhea or chlamydia, where mucus discharge in urine from urethra (a tube like passage that provides a way for the urine to move out of the body) is spotted. As a result, the urine appears yellow and is not at all clear.
Diet: If you are not eating enough high-fiber foods or eating too much high-fat meats, dairy, eggs, or sweet foods, this can cause constipation. Senior citizens may be more susceptible to becoming constipated for this reason, considering that cooking for less people may cause consuming more pre-made, less nutritious foods. Also, elderly people with teeth problems may feel they have difficulty maintaining a diverse, fiber-rich diet. It is also important that senior citizens remain hydrated and drink plenty of fluids, which can prevent irregularity. Caregivers should encourage healthy eating practices by preparing nutritious, well-balanced meals. Likewise, caretakers should remind their patients to take in sufficient fluids by providing them with juice and water throughout the day.
- Treatment: Antibiotics can treat the initial and milder signs of PID.
- In severe cases, if the inflammation has caused an abscess, a surgery may be required.
Crohn's disease is caused due to the body's autoimmune response which affects the digestive system, resulting in inflammation. Based on the location of inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, the complications of Crohn's disease may vary. A few of the visible symptoms include weakness, stomach irritation, diarrhea, throwing up, weight loss, and at times, skin issues.
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - A Story of Healing
Feeling stuck with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity? The good news is that Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is not permanent, and there is something you can do about ...
Abdominal pain, of any kind, should not be ignored as it is one of the potential symptoms of any of the aforementioned severe disorders. It is a good idea to consult the doctor and search for proper treatment techniques. Take care!