Mucus in the Stool
Mucus is a slimy secretion that is produced by the mucous membranes that line the mouth, nose, sinuses, throat, lungs, and the digestive tract. The production of mucus is one of the protective mechanisms employed by our body. One of the basic functions of mucus is to lube or moisten the underlying tissues. The secretion of mucus also assists in the passage of food from the esophagus to the stomach. The bicarbonate ions and mucous which are produced by the epithelial cells of the stomach also protect the lining of the stomach from the acidic environment created by gastric juices.
Acts as a lubricant, thereby helping with the passage of food in the digestive system, until it is excreted out. The presence of a small amount of clear mucus in stool is normal, but the amount of mucus could increase if a person is suffering from a digestive ailment. Seek advice from a doctor under these circumstances, and notify him/her about the other signs that may be accompanied by increased amounts of mucus in feces.
- There are various medical conditions that can cause one to pass mucus in stool.
- Thus, it is always better to get the underlying cause diagnosed and dealt with at the earliest.
Ulcerative colitis is a type of inflammatory bowel disease that is characterized by swelling of the innermost lining of the large intestine and the anus. When the inflammation is restricted to the rectum, the condition is referred to as ulcerative proctitis. The inflammation could give rise to the formation of open sores or sores. At a later stage, these ulcers might bleed and the affected individual may suffer from frequent episodes of diarrhea. He/she might notice traces of blood or mucus in the stool. Other symptoms of this inflammatory bowel illness consist of:
Swollen abdominal areas
Although the passage of mucus in stool is not always a reason for serious concern, consult a doctor if it has been occurring on a daily basis. Besides the aforementioned medical conditions, excess mucus in stool could be due to an anal fistula (a little connection or channel that develops between the anal canal and the skin near the anus) or rectal ulcers. The development of a deadly growth in the colon could also be a contributing factor. Though the use of drugs would provide relief, make sure that you make dietary adjustments and other lifestyle changes that have been suggested by your doctor.
Failure to pass gas.
Natural IBS Relief: Bavolex: All-Natural Relief for IBSBavolex IBS Relief is formulated with soothing herbal ingredients created to gently support and calm the digestive system. Bavolex's ingredients have been used safely for many years to support healthy digestive tract, help reducing irritation from diarrhea and constipation. Now they are all combined into this unique IBS formula. Minimizing bowel inflammation and supporting healthy digestion has been proven to alleviate the discomfort and flare-ups associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
Read More about This Product »
The term 'diverticulum' refers to an unusual sac-like structure that forms in the large intestine. It is believed that such pouches develop when the waste that is saved by the large intestine becomes hard and puts pressure on the walls of the colon. The formation of these pouches is referred to as diverticulosis. More often than not, this condition is asymptomatic. However, development of many such pouches could trigger signs such as:
Anxiety Symptoms - IBS, Indigestion, Diarrhea and constipation in anxiety and panic attacks
http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk/anxiety-symptoms/ Looking at anxiety symptoms and in particular Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS, Indigestion, diarrhea and ...
- The exact cause of IBS is unknowned, but it is believed that it could be triggered by an intense gastrointestinal infection.
- It is thought that the signs of this condition worsen due to stress.
- IBS is classified as diarrhea-predominant, constipation-predominant, or IBS with an alternating stool pattern.
- People who suffer from IBS may also observe increased levels of mucus in stools.
- It has been observed that mucus development is higher in those with diarrhea-predominant IBS.
- The typical symptoms of IBS consist of:
Modification in bowel practices.
This medical condition is caused by physical or practical obstruction of the bowel. The mechanical causes of bowel blockage consist of tumors, adhesions, gallstones, affected stool, intussusception (when a part of the intestine slides into the nearby section) or irregular twisting of the intestine. Such an obstruction stalls the transit of digested food or waste. Whatever be the cause, the condition is considered to be a medical emergency. The symptoms of this medical condition include:
- Colon convulsion symptoms can greatly differ from person to person with various intensity but a few of the common symptoms always remain the same.
- They are as following.
Stomach Cramps: Abdominal cramps are one of the most common reasons of colon spasms. When abdominal muscles are contracted leading to colon spasm, it can activate a severe pain in the stomach location where spasm has taken place. Such stomach pain caused by the colon convulsion is more gassy and colicky in nature. And it can unexpectedly be felt sharply at any time and may last for few seconds or minutes.
Mucus or blood in the feces.
- Inflammation of these pouches is medically referred to as diverticulitis.
- These pouches may become swollen when bacteria act on the fecal matter that is trapped inside diverticula.
- The symptoms of diverticulitis include:
- Fullness and Bloating: Fullness and bloating can also be experienced by a person suffering from colon spasms.
- A person may feel that his or her clothes are tighter and may feel suffocated in them.
- The bloating and fullness can be associated with flatulence and rumbling sounds in the stomach.
- Apart from this, some people also suffer from nausea and throwing up while suffering from colon spasm.
Ralph is a post curator at jerseycheapwholesalechina.com, a blog about alternative health news. Last year, Ralph worked as a marketing manager for a well-known high tech company. When he's not scouting for new articles, Ralph loves scuba diving and rafting.